In between all my other projects I have been working on my friends Rhino. He had the basic shell assembled and he gave me assorted bits to use on there. So, I think I am almost at the ready line to start painting. There are a few flash lines I need to trim, but other than that, I think it’s pretty much there. I still want to add a spike to the top of the Death Korps guys helmet, to keep in with that WW2 feel that the Plague Marines have. The colors will be the usual greens and browns, with exposed and rusted metal, and some glazes of yellow and brown for that truly virulent look.
I recently went in on the Assault on Black Reach set with my buddy. He snaffled the Orks and a couple of SM bits and I had the remaining Space Marine figures. I want to do a Black Templar army and figured this would be a good way to get some troops and whatnot.
First up on the construction block is the dreadnought. The snap-fit assembly of the AoBR stuff is great, although some gaps are apparent. There is still a part of me that thinks that these snap-fit mini’s are somewhat ‘cheap’, but slowly I am suppressing that train of thought.
This fella was put together very quickly, and was very easy to do. I yoinked a couple of pieces from my Space Marine Battle Force sprues to add on as well. Unfortunately the casting of this dreadnought is such that unless you are prepared to do some really, and I mean really, intense converting, repositioning etc, he is in a kinda boring pose.
I added a couple more purity seals, a scroll on the left arm/shoulder area, a loin cloth and a banner. I am still undecided as to whether or not I should add a smoke grenade launcher just in front of the banner pole.
I added a couple of pieces of debris to the base, not too much, as I don’t want it to detract from the final model. I have some ‘green-stuffing’ to do and some battle damage that I want to add as well. Watch this space for further developments!