It is though the Plaguefather himself has set his sights on Holy Terra for his next incursion, right? In all seriousness though, these are some interesting times we’re all currently living in. First and foremost, I hope that you are all happy and healthy, and observing the guidelines we’ve all been issued regarding social distancing and whatnot. We can all get through this together, and get through it we shall.
As tabletop wargaming is a very social hobby, spending weeks shut in can be a very daunting prospect, but that’s where we’re at.
So how are we focusing on the hobby at the moment?
Recently, Uncle Atom over at Tabletop Minions posted this video for his ‘Every Other Sunday’ series. If you’ve got an hour to spare while painting, check it out:
While we’re all shut in, he’s basically promoting that we all get in on a movement to promote the hashtag #shelterinhobby on Instagram. It’s just another way for our social group to come together in this time of isolation to lean on each other a little and to encourage posting of WIP or finished minis, or terraforming or indeed any aspect that you may be working on hobby wise. Up until this point I’ve been posting my minis on my personal account, but I’ve been mulling over actually starting a WCF insta so that I can try and engage more with the hobby community.
I would like to sidestep here for a moment and say that being informed about the current situation is paramount, but PLEASE try not to have the news on all day, or be reading the front page of Google News or whatever your browser of choice may be. It’s easy to get swept up in the whirlwind of information overload which, quite frankly, can scare the pants off of anyone. It’s not healthy. Check in on developments here and there throughout the day, but then put on something else, or walk away and read a book, immerse yourself in something positive. Set aside some time each day as your hobby time, or even look to taking some online classes to enrich yourself. Take this time to do something positive for yourself.
As a married parent of two kids, the day is taken up currently between remote working, home schooling a resistant twelve year old and entertaining a four year old, so hobby time is still relegated until after 8:30 when the wee fella is finally asleep.
I’ve been reflecting on the pile of shame and thinking about what to tackle. With current shelter in place orders here in Illinois, that means that hanging out at the FLGS is a no-go for now. This in turn means that emphasis on getting miniatures done for games that my group are currently playing is not as important, and I can indulge myself on other backburner projects:
- Stormstrike (Age of Sigmar) – Time to get the Night Haunt and Stormcast Eternals painted up, methinks…
- Bushido – I still have unpainted Cult of Yurei figures that need some love.
- Sisters of Battle – I picked up the box set last November when it dropped. I’ve assembled all the figures and started painting the seraphim. I need to vow that I can’t buy any more for this force before the ones I have are done…
- Zone Raiders – a ‘miniature agnostic’ skirmish game. Basically I have a ton of stuff that I can pull in to make up a faction. This is really going to be a fun project once it gets started.
- Strontium Dog – I painted the good guys and then came to a grinding halt, so all the bad guys haven’t even been undercoated. Time to remedy that! BTW, if you haven’t tried that game, I recommend it. Riotous fun!
- De Bellis Antiquitatis (DBA) – a ruleset for 15mm miniatures that cover a vast historical period from Ancients to Dark Ages. My buddy wanted to dip his toe, so we’re going for Polybian Romans and Carthaginians. I’m almost done with my army (Carthage), his will be a snap as it’s mostly infantry, in red tunics and chainmail!
I have other things as well, but I’ll cross those bridges as and when, like my forgotten Infinity forces, or the warbands I want to make for Song of Blades and Heroes or Deepwars.
So what are all you lot planning on doing during these crazy days? post your projects in the comments and lets get some conversation going! I’m thinking that I’d like to try and get some kind of hobby project going on with other bloggers, maybe just some kind of painting pledge or something like that. Would anyone else be on board?
Stay healthy everyone!